Sunday, July 22, 2012

Our omnipresent God at Gateway High School


Friday I experienced what would qualify as probably the worst day I’ve had while being out here, and, to be honest, probably the worst day I’ve had in a very very long time.  What is more impactful to me when I think of this fact is the reality that for 70+ people and their family and friends, this was one of the worst days/times of their lives. 

A couple days ago, a man with a premeditated plan, James Holmes , entered into a theater showing The Dark Knight Rises and with a rifle, a shotgun, and two handguns, started to shoot random and innocent people.  Twelve people and children died while fifty-eight were left injured.  But the number doesn’t stop there of those wounded/injured in some way, although not physically.  We interns were given the opportunity to go to Gateway High School (The school where people were taken to give statements and also where relatives and friends were waiting to hear word as more information was surfacing) on Friday morning.  Being in there was unnerving.  It was unnerving from realizing the gravity of the situation, from feeling the pain, sorrow, and anticipation in the room, as well as realizing that there was nothing I could do about it.  I was able to talk to one guy who was with a group awaiting news about the hospital their friend was in, able to hug one girl, as well as stand and be with a man and his wife awaiting news of their son who was still unaccounted for, during the prayer.  I consider that a blessing because in a situation like that, I know I can’t do anything. 

Looking back on that time though, and even looking back on it later that day, I was blessed to be a part of something much bigger than what I could have imagined.  Although I was able to provide not an ounce of anything from my own ability, resources, or strength, I’ve got a God and Father, full of comfort, peace, and love, that came and showed up in that very school.  I have no idea what I would have expected in a time like this, but once we got inside, you could see/feel God at work.  The work being done there was nothing more than people and pastors coming to love, support, and pray with/for these families and friends.  We had nothing to offer them of our own ability, but we could love on them as best we could and support them during this time.  I think I met around eight different pastors at least and there were other people, along with us, there for the same reason. 

The wonderful blessing of seeing the bigger picture came while talking to a man named Rick.  Rick was a Filipino man who worked at a nearby church.  At one point, two officers walked by us and long story short, I found out that one of the officers was a very messed up kid that came to a camp that Rick counseled at.  And while Rick was at camp counseling this kid, among others of course, the second officer present was actually friends with this messed up kid praying for Rick and basically the influence and impact that he would have on him.  Rick actually ended up playing a role in leading this kid to salvation and the other officer happened to be a Christian as well.  Before they took off they offered words of encouragement and thanked us for being there. 

This became another instance that taught/is continuing to teach me how powerful our God is.  We serve an omnipresent God who is everywhere at once.  His presence was certainly at that high school during a time of crisis, and his love was being spread by his children that showed up.  Above all, I am continuing to learn that we aren’t in control, and moments will come to show that we have no control or power.  Those are the moments (along with any other one) that we should be on our knees looking to God for strength, comfort, and peace.  

No comments:

Post a Comment